RETROPLANE.net Index du Forum
FAQ - Charte - Rechercher - Fichiers - Membres - S'enregistrer - Annuaire - Vérifier ses messages privés - Connexion

Gluhareff S-22 - Tuomas
Aller à la page Précédente
1, 2, 3

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    RETROPLANE.net Index du Forum -> Constructions Détaillées en Photo
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Frédéric
Psycho Posteur
Psycho Posteur

europe.gif

MessagePosté le: 18/03/2013 10:47    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Salut Tuomas !

[clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap]
[amen] [amen] [bave] [bave]

Amicalement
Frédéric Wink

"L'eau plate ne favorise pas le vol de pente." Otto Lilienthal
"In Cyano véritas" Michel Coneuf
"Veni, bibi, vomi" Pasqual VOMITINO
Retroplane fort et vert !
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer un e-mail
tuootal
Apprenti Posteur
Apprenti Posteur

finland.gif

MessagePosté le: 18/03/2013 18:04    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Merci Frédéric!

brief update - Peekoo just published an short video of S-22-maiden. We are still in process of finetuning it, but it can be seen currently http://youtu.be/A0q__2AxVZY

Tuomas
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
patte de loup
Incurable Posteur
Incurable Posteur

france.gif

MessagePosté le: 18/03/2013 22:06    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

congratulation for this maiden flight
[clap] [clap] [clap]
pat'

Un "prédateur" des pentes de France et de Navarre
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
Anonyme
Serial Posteur
Serial Posteur

blank.gif

MessagePosté le: 19/03/2013 09:09    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Oh, the tug is a bit violent ! Shocked but nice flight and nice landscape.. Wink
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
tuootal
Apprenti Posteur
Apprenti Posteur

finland.gif

MessagePosté le: 19/03/2013 19:54    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Merci Pat!

Yes, that tug is quite brutal. We were quite worried that there would be something... bad during maiden tow so we decided to perform helicopter tow. That is, go straight up. In case of problems during tow they are easier to solve if you have height.

Okay, then to analysis of flights. I think that nobody at field thought that it would fly so well. So it was easy to exceed any expectations. Some thoughts:

- It really flies nicely.
- Ailerons are quite lame. They are not effective enough to even cause rolls.
- Stall is totally flat, soft & predictable
- Elevator is nice, not twitchy at all
- Turns are flat, but this requires co-ordinated use of ail, rud & elev. Not yet visible at maiden tow Very Happy
- Glide path is smooth and comparable to any glider, even larger ones
- with auw of approx 5.000g load is 38.1g/dm2 which is quite modest

This is an mystery. Every prediction was totally wrong. Our conclusion was that this plane is like bumblebee of that old story. According scientists it cannot fly. Luckily it does not know it.

Seriously - we had long discussions regarding a) thick elev. profile making elev. difficult to stall (= softer), b) ailerons are quite narrow part of wing, so they are not so effective, more like airbrakes, c) in general this is a bit like Pou du Ciel. That is, almost an flying wing. Not requiring so much dihedral.

I am not an expert in aerodynamics. This is an puzzle. Any thoughts?

Oh yes, another maiden video : http://youtu.be/DF58vUN1YCQ

Tuomas
ps : if you watch maiden video closely you will notice that elev is occasionally slightly off. It seems that I managed to bang it to car door while loading it to car. There is considerable slop in hinge. Not affecting flying, just cosmetical. Have to find an way to fix it.
Anonyme
Serial Posteur
Serial Posteur

blank.gif

MessagePosté le: 19/03/2013 20:59    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

OK, sure to get height with such an helicopter tow but you may have some problem to release hook with the tension if something gets wrong...well, good ending and congratulations once more ! [clap]
cpdude
Stagiaire Posteur
Stagiaire Posteur

usa.gif

MessagePosté le: 20/03/2013 15:54    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Tuomas,

She looks wonderful! Regardless of the lame ailerons. But how is it actually turning? With no dihedral (v-form) the rudder should just cause a skid. Confused Do the ailerons cause any change in direction?

Regards,
Brian
tuootal
Apprenti Posteur
Apprenti Posteur

finland.gif

MessagePosté le: 20/03/2013 20:36    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

It does skid, which is evident on video. But with rather modest co-ordinated use rud & ail you can make totally flat thermal turns. I even managed to stay in thermals for good while. The sun was heating dark forest, so there were some small thermals, despite freezing temp. One thing which I noticed was that this plane does need also some elev also while making quick turns.

I tried to compensate lack of dihedral with putting all heavy things to bottom of fuselage. This is quite deep fus, so it puts center of gravity to low. Creating similar effect as dihedral.

Ailerons do create some change of direction, but it is really modest. Luckily weather was quite calm (1-2m/s) so there were no need to adjust glide in gusts. I have to adjust travel to get more control.

I forgot to add that I managed to make loops. Which is most certainly the first time this plane has looped.

Tuomas
tuootal
Apprenti Posteur
Apprenti Posteur

finland.gif

MessagePosté le: 20/03/2013 23:06    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Gentlemen,

I just noticed third video containing S-22-flying. That part of video was taken at end of event with crowds going home. So field is almost empty and no paragliders.

http://youtu.be/RDcosOWb03I

There is an hair-raising incident starting at approx 3:30. Bidule-towplane (btw - it is French Very Happy) landed to strip and then I also landed. As S-22 has limited braking capability I overshot space and ... well, see the video. Luckily S-22 had momentum. Actually, it really does glide rather well.

I really should learn flying. This is quite embarrassing.

Thanks for Henkka for video!

Tuomas
tuootal
Apprenti Posteur
Apprenti Posteur

finland.gif

MessagePosté le: 07/04/2013 19:26    Sujet du message: some final photos Répondre en citant

Hello everyone,

I got back from winter skiing holiday and check'd camera. There was still couple photos which I forgot to add to this thread. See below..

Gluing rudder to fuselage. Again.. it's those Ikea-shelves in good use. Actually, they are not good to be used as shelves, only for aligning model aeroplane parts :)

Balancing act. I have balanced larger planes in my shop but it seems to be getting smaller.

As an final touch I added an dashboard with one instrument. I had ordered an cheap altimeter for some experiments from ebay and it had nice small instruments in it's strap. Good use for that abysmall thermometer. The size looks quite scale.

pls. note that this is not final pic of dashboard. I should go to my shop and get final picture of it installed etc. BUT but but ... it is snowing again and I simply do want to go outside just now. Propably tomorrow.

Tuomas
tuootal
Apprenti Posteur
Apprenti Posteur

finland.gif

MessagePosté le: 07/04/2013 19:29    Sujet du message: free plans available Répondre en citant

One more thing.

I finalized & published plans of this plane. They are available for free download at http://www.iwaru.fi/gluhareff.html

Tuomas
Papy Solex
Accro Posteur
Accro Posteur

france.gif

MessagePosté le: 07/04/2013 23:28    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Hi Tuomas,

Congratulation for that maiden flight...remember, i trusted in your glider... Wink
As Vincent said, that's a really neat construction.... and fast too !!!

So, total respect for what you do... [amen] [amen] [amen]

Jean-Paul "Papy Solex"

"Ce n'est pas parce que les choses sont difficiles que nous n'osons pas, c'est parce que nous n'osons pas que les choses sont difficiles" Sénèque.
"Un esprit créatif est un esprit libre"
tuootal
Apprenti Posteur
Apprenti Posteur

finland.gif

MessagePosté le: 23/08/2015 20:13    Sujet du message: Some news.. Répondre en citant

Greetings!

I have been neglecting this great site for too long and small update is in place. First, S-22 is still flying great. No problems there. That is fun little plane.

But, this is news. My friend from Kuopio (city in middle Finland) commented in last aerotow event that ‘You, Tuomas have this interest in old planes, I have found an old book in my old relatives cupboard which might be of interest’… It turned out that his relative was some sort of inventor and he had an authentic book from 1924 with name ‘Moottorittomat Lentokoneet ja heikkomoottorilentokoneet’ by B. Adaridi, 66 pages. This is extremely rare book in which mr. Boris Adaridi explains flying with ‘Motorless aeroplanes and Avionettes’. AND it has the same plan of every mans glider as in Suomen Kuvalehti 1924 i featured in my S-22-plan page, http://iwaru.fi/gluhareff.html

This book is really great reading. Especially if you are native finnish speaker. But, I made an short compilation of findings on by blog site, check http://www.modeldesigns.iwaru.fi (or direct link to article http://www.modeldesigns.iwaru.fi/gluhareff-s-22-adaridi-sk24-update/).

I made high quality scans of that SK-24, they can be downloaded from the blog article or using direct address http://www.modeldesigns.iwaru.fi/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/SK24-pages-1-3-02-bw.zip

Just to keep you amused here are low resolution versions of SK-24 plans.

Also, my blog site contains quite a bit pictures of local Aerotow events and some of my later designs.

Tuomas

VincentB
Serial Posteur
Serial Posteur

world.gif

MessagePosté le: 24/08/2015 02:36    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Thanks Tuomas for these documents, and for the link of your blog Very Happy

Retroplane et modélisme en pause, vanlife à haute dose.
RichardP
Accro Posteur
Accro Posteur

world.gif

MessagePosté le: 30/11/2016 17:50    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Vincent, je viens de découvrir ce post suite à ton dernier message concernant le Lippish - Falke, ce planeur est vraiment original et splendide, a-t-il volé ?
J'imagine qu'il y a beaucoup d'autres petites merveilles dans rétroplane

Si le problème a une solution, il ne sert à rien de s'inquiéter. Mais s'il n'en a pas, alors s'inquiéter ne change rien.
VincentB
Serial Posteur
Serial Posteur

world.gif

MessagePosté le: 30/11/2016 18:36    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Oui, regarde plus haut, Tuomas a posté un lien de vidéo

Retroplane et modélisme en pause, vanlife à haute dose.
fabrice92
Apprenti Posteur
Apprenti Posteur

france.gif

MessagePosté le: 30/11/2016 22:43    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant

Bonjour

Si tu veux suivre la construction de ce planeur(en fait il y en a 2 en construction....) , j'ai ouvert un nouveau post sur le forum.

http://www.retroplane.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144357#144357

Fabrice
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer un e-mail
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    RETROPLANE.net Index du Forum -> Constructions Détaillées en Photo Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Aller à la page Précédente
1, 2, 3
Page 3 sur 3

Sauter vers: